116 & West is seeking a UX/Web Designer based in Boise, Idaho who is responsible for the strategy and creative execution of high-quality website experiences that are aligned with UX best practices and our client’s goals. This role loves strategy as much as creativity and takes pride in creating effective digital experiences.
The UX/Web Designer is responsible for designing our client’s websites from the earliest conception through the final launch. As our web designer, you will get to know our clients, understand their goals, and take design and functionality requirements with user experience best practices to create mock-ups and design layouts while focusing on usability, visual appeal, and technical feasibility. Working closely with the front-end developer, you will create intentional, intuitive, strategic, website experiences that engage the target audience.
The UX/Web Designer is responsible for the information architecture (site’s structure and content hierarchy for SEO), user experience, and creative visual design of our client’s website projects. This role is an expert in responsive design that works seamlessly across devices and browsers. This role also understands UX for SEO and WCAG website accessibility guidelines for design.
This role will also have the opportunity to work on the agency’s website and make recommendations and improvements to enhance the quality of our digital experience.
The most successful candidate:
- Understands they key elements to a successful website
- Loves strategy as much as visual design
- Is able to execute design deliverables within timeline and budget scope
- Always has a “why” behind the recommendation
- Has no problem admitting when they don’t know, and loves to research and find the answer
- Is kind of a perfectionist and understands what it means when a site’s creative design aesthetic “feels right”
- Has relentless attention to detail
- Is an excellent and proactive communicator
- Is able to take internal and/or client feedback and produce strategic design solutions
- Is the peanut butter to our front-end developer’s jelly
- Is confident presenting their work in front of internal teams and clients
- Works well independently and collaboratively
- Understands how a website CMS (WordPress, Silverstripe) works in the back end to be able to design layouts that are budget-friendly and effective
- Dreams up website design layouts in frameworks and patterns
- Is not afraid to get into the website CMS to help add content to pages, upload images and graphics, and fix non-technical content and design bugs
- Has the ability to deliver design feedback to the front-end developer to fine-tune and polish the website design once in a staging environment
- Loves a collaborative environment and seeks feedback from other designers and art directors in the creative team
- Takes pride and ownership of their work
The UX/Web Designer will report to the Digital Director and work closely with the creative, digital, content, and account services teams on all projects.
This person has a strong desire to work at an ad agency and likes working on multiple client accounts. A positive personality, desire to learn, and a focused approach to getting tasks completed is needed to be successful as it can be fast-paced and deadline sensitive.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Execute the strategy phase of the website including: designing the sitemap, determining the information architecture, and creating wireframes
- Owning and executing the creative aesthetic of the website including: designing visual layouts for mobile, desktop, and tablet devices
- Understand the client’s brand strategy and create cohesive, consistent, branded customer experiences through websites for our clients
- Establish and maintain UX design standards and best practices
- Must ensure concepts and designs are strategically aligned with brand standards, the needs of the target audience or personas for each client, and the platforms on which they appear
- Design creative assets for web: graphics, icons, logos, videos, animations
Editing large video files into website-friendly hero video experiences
- Adhering to WCAG 2.1 Accessibility Guidelines for website design
- Understanding and interpreting information gathered from clients to create on-target creative with a focus on detail while meeting all budget requirements, deadlines, and milestones
- Critical thinking to make effective decisions and recommendations. Ability to understand the financial implications of recommendations on agency and client.
- Working with front-end developers to ideate, implement, and fine-tune visual elements and functionality of websites
- Content entry/page building in the WordPress/Silverstripe CMS
- Website testing and design feedback
- Assisting in estimating web design project scopes
- Presenting strategy and design to clients
- Staying current on UX best practices and researching and evaluating new design trends
- Creating efficiencies in processes and establishing design standards and procedures for the agency
- Other duties as assigned
Education and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, interactive/web design, UX/UI design or related field
- Certification and/or concentration in UX/UI design preferred
- At least three+ years of digital UX/website design experience
- Ability to demonstrate UX and digital design skills with an outstanding portfolio
- Deep understanding of and experience with professional design. Strong graphic design skills and serious attention to detail. A persuasive and confident approach to creativity.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite especially XD, Photoshop, Illustrator, and After Effects
- Figma experience a plus
- Superior sense of type, headline structure, imagery, and UX along with a rich understanding of CMS development and knowledge of basic programming and HTML.
- Experience designing WordPress and/or Silverstripe websites a plus.
- Expert in SEO best practices for UX and website design
- Video editing for web
- Logo animation skills or willingness to learn
- Ability to interpret Google analytics, trends, and search console data and make strategic recommendations based on insights
- Proven ability designing websites that comply with WCAG 2.1 Accessibility standards
An understanding of advertising/marketing
- Web app design experience a plus
- Previous agency experience a plus
- Must have functional abilities in Microsoft Teams, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Google Docs and Sheets
- Must have competency in or ability to learn the agency tasking, time tracking, and project management software
- Authentic, transparent communication with the internal team and clients
- A passion for UX, website design, and SEO
- A desire to continually learn new skills and create efficiencies in our processes
- Excellent analytical, communication, and presentation skills, both verbal and written
- Must have the ability to adapt positively and effectively to a variety of different personalities and work styles
- Possess the ability to handle stressful deadlines and situations with composure, intuition, and a positive attitude
- Attention to detail and time management
- Efficient, resourceful problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple work streams seamlessly and independently in a deadline-driven atmosphere
- Ability to quickly learn about new industries and business types, strategize, implement, and achieve client goals
Other details and benefits:
- In-office (downtown Boise)
- Work from home option every Friday
- Health insurance (medical, vision, dental)
- Monthly parking stipend
Upload your resume and a cover letter on why you’d like to work with us (document file format accepted: PDF). Please also include active links to your portfolio. Submissions without work examples will not be considered.
If you believe you’re an excellent fit and have a great personality, but you lack the full three years of prior experience or any item listed above, don’t fret. Let us know in your cover letter. Be transparent. We expect integrity in the team and respect individuality.
Finally, we encourage you to become familiar with the team, our capabilities, and our work.
Position will close when filled.
To apply, please fill out the following form with your contact information. Then attach your resume and cover letter.